The No Poo Method
I haven’t used shampoo or conditioner now for 2 years and my hair has never looked healthier. I started using the no poo method because I was sick of having to wash my hair everyday, even when I washed it it felt and looked greasy. I was also concerned about the chemicals that I was overloading my body with every time I used shampoo and conditioner.
The no poo method literally means no shampoo. The reason it works is because our hair naturally produces it’s own conditioning oils. Shampoo strips the oil from the hair therefore the hair goes into overdrive to produce more oil and you get locked into this never ending cycle of shampooing, hair produces more oil, greasy hair, shampooing to remove grease and so on. Until you break the cycle with the no poo method. Washing your hair in seawater is the best remedy for this, however if you don't have access to an ocean every time you want to clean your hair you can use this method -
- The first month is a little hard because your hair is used to producing a lot of oil and so it seems very greasy but it will calm down once you stop the shampoo and regulate itself
- You have to stop washing with shampoo cold turkey
- Use plain water to rinse your hair or you can use a mixture of organic powered bicarbonate of soda and water. I use two heaped teaspoons of bicarbonate to a small bowl of water, I mix it in so it dissolves and then pour it slowly over my hair, pausing to make sure it is getting incorporated into my hair
- Massage the scalp as though you are using shampoo
- Rinse with warm water
- Add a teaspoon of cider apple vinegar to the ends of you hair if you would like a gentle conditioner and then rinse through with cold water
- Wear hats to hide your hair until it regulates itself!
- Stick with it, you won’t regret it.
- Your hair will feel thicker, healthier, shinier and full of life.
Try it, you won’t regret it. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.