7 reasons to why you need to prioritise your daily self care routine
These days everyone seems to be talking about self care, but do you know what it means to really practice self care and furthermore do you know why it is imperative in your life?
Self care quite simply means taking care of yourself. At the most basic level acts of self care include eating, washing, exercising and sleeping. Self care also means taking time of out your busy schedule to do something for yourself and your wellbeing. Activities include taking a massage, having a bath, taking a yoga class, meditating, reading a book, listening to music, singing, anything that makes your heart happy. Watching TV, drinking alcohol, taking drugs and socialising do not fall under the category of self care. You need to be spending some dedicated wellbeing time with yourself at least once a day.
I have spoken to a number of people recently and found that most of them think that they don't have enough time for their own self care routine. They are so busy working or looking after their families that the idea of taking an hour or two a week let alone a day to themselves is out of the question.
So why is self care crucial to your wellbeing?
- Self care allows you to be your best self, taking care of yourself means you are also able to take care of your family, friends or people in your job more effectively
- Self care has been proven to reduce levels of stress related illnesses such as heart disease and cancer
- Self care is directly linked to your levels of self esteem. If someone has low self esteem they are less inclined to carry out acts of self care compared to people who have healthy levels of self esteem. Studies have also shown that people who begin a self care routine can have a direct effect on their own self esteem and increase levels of self love and self confidence through this change.
- Self care promotes a feeling of happiness and wellbeing in your own body, you become happier and more positive
- Self care helps to prevent burn out
- Self care gives you time with yourself to think and clears your head so that you can think more clearly
- Self care teaches everyone around you to take care of themselves too
So as you can see it is really important to make some time for your own daily self care routine. Find out how to incorporate your own self care routine into your busy schedule by booking a free 30 minute consultation with me today.